Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back to School: Summer Reading Reviews

There's always such a big push during the summer break for students to make time to read. Local libraries push teens and children to read through various summer reading programs that often times offer prizes. I love those programs, by the way. I think it's a great way to encourage people to read. And it's fun! Or at least I thought so when I participated in one years ago. Plus, I got a free book out of it, and for a growing book worm, that was the best thing ever!

Although, starting this year, I technically don't have summer vacations anymore (unless I end up going back to school), I still tried to make time to read during what was my summer vacation period for the last few years. As I was thinking back over the books I read this summer, I realized that everything I read fits under the young adult fiction genre. I guess I shouldn't be that surprise as I've always been partial to that genre, but I'm thinking I may need to make more of an effort to broaden my horizons.

Don't worry. I promise I've read more than just young adult fiction in my lifetime.



One of the most recent books I've read, and one of my favorites of the summer, is The Looking Glass Wars written by Frank Beddor. I first picked up the book at a campus bookstore, and I immediately was interested. Having read Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland (not to mention I fell in love with the new movie), I was excited to experience this new take on a classic and well known story.


Perhaps you'd like a little peek at the back? Of course you would! The back reads a little like this:

THE MYTH
Alice Liddel was an ordinary girl who stepped through the looking glass and entered a fairy-tale world invented by Lewis Carroll in his famous storybook.

THE TRUTH
Wonderland is real. Alyss Heart is the heir to the throne, until her murderous aunt Redd steals the crown and kills Alyss's parents. To escape Redd, Alyss and her bodyguard, Hatter Madigan, must flee to our world through the Pool of Tears. But in the pool Alyss and Hatter are separated. Lost and alone in Victorian London. Alyss is befriended by an aspiring author, to whom she tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Yet he gets the story all wrong. Hatter Madigan knows the truth only too well, and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

Sounds rather exciting, doesn't it? Although this is not a book that is currently in stock here, look it up and give it a read. It's full of adventure and great characters with a great twist on Lewis Carroll's originals. For instance, the mad hatter has been turned into Hatter Madigan, bodyguard to the royal family with intense fighting skills and weapons (his hat turns into, essentially, boomerang blades). The Chesire Cat is now an assassin with nine lives, and he serves the villainous Redd. Even the Jabberwocky makes an appearance!

It's all great fun! I have yet to read the other books in the series (it's a trilogy), but they are now on my unwritten, infinitely expanding list of books to read!

This is a book that I think a lot of people will enjoy.

There you have it. That's my recommendation from this summer's reading. What did you read this summer? What books would you recommend we read or avoid like the plague? Now's the time to hear from you. Submit a comment, or if you'd like to submit your own full fledged review and have your own bit of spotlight on the site, send me an e-mail. See the About Me tab for more information.

Until next time, keep on reading! It's good for you :)

For all those who have gone back to school, I wish you the best of luck! Study hard, but make sure you take time for yourself so your brain doesn't wear out or explode. I speak from experience... Find a balance!

Audieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment