Monday, October 31, 2011

Jane Austen

Truth be told, I've only actually read one Jane Austen novel (GASP!). I bet you can guess which one that was. That's right, Pride and Prejudice. I've written some thoughts about that lovely story before, so I won't go into much detail again. Suffice it to say, my seventh grader self had a problem with it. My college self and beyond loves it.

I came to know a few of the other stories thanks to movie dramatizations. About a year ago, I decided I wanted to be familiar with all of her novels even though I hadn't read them all. So I did the obvious thing. I watched more movies courtesy of my local library. I can now say I know the general plot of all six Jane Austen novels. I don't have very many books with me currently, but one I do have access to is The Complete Works of Jane Austen. I decided it was about time I read another one. So I started with the first one in the book, Sense and Sensibility, which I am still currently reading.

Although I like it and I'm enjoying some of the insights we gain from book format vs. movie format, I find myself thinking that I don't like it as well as Pride and Prejudice. I still have a bit to go so I'll put no final judgement on it yet, but it raises this question. What is your favorite Jane Austen novel? Or can you absolutely not stand her? If you haven't read the novels, tell me which movie is your favorite. I'd really like to know :)

Based on my experiences with the stories thus far, I would rank them as follows:

1. Pride and Prejudice
2. Emma
3. Sense and Sensibility
4. Persuasion
5. Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park are currently tied

Leave your comments below! Which is your favorite or least favorite, and tell us why if you feel so inclined.

Oh and lest I forget, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

If you're looking for a great book for this joyous occasion, you should look into Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich. It's full of monster fun! You better sing the words on all the Phantom of the Opera pages...or else!

1 comment:

  1. Hello...
    Why you don't mention that your logo photo is a stolen photo?
    I am photographer... This is mine phoot... I will be really happy to send you a invoice or do you prefer a lawyer?
    Regards
    Stephane

    ReplyDelete