Sunday, August 21, 2011

My Children Shall be Named Albus Severus, Renesme, and...Vincent?

I was just thinking to myself the other day (a dangerous pastime, I know), reflecting on a conversation I had with a friend of mine where he said that Albus Severus has to be one of the worst names to give a child ever. He hasn't read past the first book in the Twilight Saga, so I sat him down, gave him some hot cocoa and toast, gently put my hand on his shoulder and broke the news to him:

Edward and Bella name their child Renesme.

In all actually, this conversation took place over facebook... But who doesn't love the idea of hot cocoa and toast? If you're raising your hand, please put it down before someone hurts you. Thank you.

Last night, my parents were telling my brother and me how they came up with our names, which is probably why I was thinking about the Albus/Renesme conversation in the first place. I know names like Isabella and Jacob are quite popular at the moment, but I found myself wondering if I would name my child after a character in a book and if so, which names would I consider and which would I absolutely avoid.

No offense, but Albus Severus and Renesme are both names that would probably end up on the top of the "do not use these" list. Although I did hear about someone who named their dog Severus. Totally okay with that. But if I look at some of my favorite books (or even some I just think are good), I come up with names like these:

Fitzwilliam
Milo
Bilbo
Harry
Taran

Aurora
Katniss
Winifred
Maggie
Elizabeth

And now I'm drawing a blank. I'm not saying any of those are bad names. They're very fitting for each of the characters they belong to. I just don't know that I want to use any of them for my future children. There's actually a couple there I would or have considered for possible future baby names, but not because of their place in books.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of naming a child after a character, but I haven't thought of one that I really like yet. Of course, I'm sure names I choose are in some book somewhere, but that's not the same as telling my future son, Tom Edward Lastname, that I specifically chose his name after the Dark Lord and a sparkly vampire.

Hmm, perhaps I should name future son Vincent after the Final Fantasy VII character. True he's not the main character, but Vincent sounds cooler than Cloud. He kind of looks creepy though...


I've just opened the door to so many name possibilities.

What do you think? Would you name your child after one of your favorite characters? Which names are in the running and which or totally out of the question?

1 comment:

  1. When I was little I planned on naming my son TK and my daughter Kari...the dream was as short lived as my Digimon obsession.

    ReplyDelete